What to Do if the Police Report Contains Inaccurate Information About Your Accident

Posted by Amy FalconJul 11, 2023

If you were involved in a car crash in Virginia, and you now notice that the police report contains incorrect information, you must take steps to amend the report as soon as possible.

Is It Possible to Fix an Inaccurate Car Accident Report?

In some cases, it is possible to amend an incorrect police report. It is also possible that even if the original report cannot be amended, you may be able to request a supplemental report.

Amending is often easier to do with minor factual errors, such as spelling mistakes, incorrect diagrams, or inaccuracies regarding the location of the accident, vehicle damage, and injuries sustained.

You may also dispute the accuracy of a police report if you disagree with the officer's opinions about the accident, such as what caused the collision and who was at fault. However, disputed facts can be more difficult to amend.

What To Do About an Inaccurate Car Accident Report

If you notice inaccuracies about your car crash in the police report, contact the police department and reporting officer as soon as possible. The earlier you report incorrect information, the better your chances of having it amended.

Depending on the nature of the error, you may need to submit additional evidence, such as medical documentation, witness statements, statements about disputed information, photographs, and any other documentation that can help prove the mistake.

How a Car Accident Law Firm in Virginia Can Help

Regardless of the type of inaccuracies you find in your police report, contacting an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible is essential, as police reports are crucial for your insurance claim. Your attorney can help you collect the necessary evidence and write additional statements.

Call Ackerman & Falcon Today

Ackerman & Falcon is a car accident law firm in Virginia with over 25 years of experience helping clients who have been involved in car crashes. Call us today at (703) 288-1400 for a free, no-obligation consultation, or send us a message about your case online.